User Tag List

Thread: Oilers Acquire James Neal

User Info Menu

Edmonton Oilers Oilers Acquire James Neal

The Oilers have sent Milan Lucic to Calgary in exchange for James Neal.

Thoughts?

User Info Menu

...and Lucic’s failed tenure in Edmonton comes to an end.

User Info Menu

I really think this was a win for the Edmonton Oilers. Neal will bounce back in my opinion and be the player he was in Vegas. Lucic will continue to regress in Calgary unless he can gain chemistry with Tkachuk or Gaudreau. However, he is still slow as hell and not getting any younger.

Check out OTH's own @GrindLikeJags article for more analysis on this trade!

https://overtimeheroics.net/index.ph...ers-for-lucic/
    Follow me on Twitter @SwaggyCanuckMZ

Director of Hockey Operations at OTH

I also contribute to The Hockey Writers, The Canuck Way and Unwrapped Sports

User Info Menu

The Oilers did fill a big need by getting Neal. They have to hope Neal can score at least 15 goal. He will get changes to play in top 6 role. The flame did address a need of toughness for the playoff but they are paying Lucic a large amount of money for that.

User Info Menu

Oilers won this trade for sure, but the Flames were also able to address a need with this trade. Neal wasn't going to get a chance playing in the top 6 in Calgary. While the offensive upside is definitely going to Edmonton in the deal (especially if Neal can keep up with McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH, he's already been training with McDavid and Gary Roberts) it's inconsequential to the Flames because he wouldn't have gotten the opportunity.

$5.25m for a regressing Lucic is better than 6m and he'll fill a role on the 3rd/4th line. Hopefully Lucic's presence on the team is enough to allow the more skilled players (namely Gaudreau) to not have to worry about others taking open whacks at their hands, especially during the playoffs when refs apparently forget how to use their whistles...who knows, if he can skate a little bit he could conceivably score 30-40 points. That would be a "win" imo. Deal makes sense for both teams, hopefully a change of scenery is enough to revitalize their careers!
    Appreciate your ears, Stay Hungry out there!

Link to all our podcast episodes --> www.buzzsprout.com/234789

Twitter: @HFHTPodcast
    Facebook Page: @HFHTPodcast

https://media.giphy.com/media/Fwn1auHR2LUGI/giphy.gif
    https://media.giphy.com/media/RAeAOmy1Tt504/giphy.gif

User Info Menu

I think Neal will be a 30 goal scorer this season - either on the 1st or 2nd line and time on the powerplay. He can shoot and if he gets close to that 10% career shooting%, the Oilers win this trade.

I would however, like to see Lucic find some of his old self - he's a likeable guy now that he's not in Boston colours.
    Join us weekly as we discuss the latest news in the Hockey World!

www.slewfoothockeyshow.com

Follow us on Twitter! @SlewfootShow @SlewfootFred @SlewfootDave

Thread Information